CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ridiculously Healthy and Even More Delicious Whole Wheat Buttermilk Flax Seed and Oatmeal Pancakes

Boy was that a mouth full...and so very Yummy!

It's been way too long since I have been on here and I had to share this recipe I created for my family!

I wish I had pictures but when I created this I only planned on sharing it with my sons nutritionist and workout group but couldn't keep this from anyone willing to try it once I was done and the boys and husband were overwhelmingly satisfied :)

So for this one I needed something to replace CEREAL...I hate the stuff; my kids love the stuff and when it’s in my house it’s a constant battle to get the kids to eat anything else (especially my 5 year old). It all really started when I was visiting with a friend who like me hates it and so she cooks every morning for her children...if she could do it I can too right?!?!? So I set the goal to make my kids a hot breakfast every morning BUT with a newborn not every morning can I make a 5 star breakfast because I just don’t have the time so this is my solution. For me the hour it takes me to prepare this is so much more worth it just to benefit my family health wise. So if time is your excuse think of it this way what will you probably be doing with that hour if you aren’t doing this...watching TV and sitting on the couch perhaps...soooo NO EXCUSES!
This is a bulk recipe so the amounts are large but the dry mix you make will last quite a while. It lasts us about 2 wks with 3 boys and my husband eating one a day pretty much daily.
If you are worried about the texture because they are Whole Wheat don’t be but if you aren’t a wheat fan I suggest doing half whole wheat, half UNBLEACHED all purpose flour. Or start 1/3 of the flour whole wheat and work your way to more...but really I don’t think you need it with this recipe even my picky eaters LOVE them how they are!
Ridiculously healthy and YUMMY whole wheat buttermilk with flax seed and oatmeal pancakes
Dry Mix:
~ 6 cups Whole Wheat Flour (I prefer Bob’s Red Mill ~ it’s the Oregon girl in me probably)
~ 1 cup GROUND flax seed* (Also Bob’s Red Mill)
~ 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
~ 1 tsp cinnamon
~ 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
~ 3 tsp Baking Powder
~ 1 Tbsp fine Sea Salt (this is my preference but regular kosher is fine)
~ 4 Tbsp Truvia (or other no calorie sweetener that you prefer but this in my opinion best)
~ 1.5 cups buttermilk powder**
In a HUGE bowl combine all of the ingredients. Begin with the Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Cinnamon and Salt. Next add the Sweetener. After it is fully combined add the Buttermilk Powder. Last one at a time combining thoroughly between both add the Ground Flax Seed and the Oatmeal.
I use a whisk to sort of sift it together and I do this for about 5 minutes to make sure it gets really mixed. If you just make one batch of the DRY MIX then you can also put it in a plastic cereal container (you know the ones that you find at walmart in the tupperware container section. It has a lid and a pour spout) and shake really well. I usually do a double batch so mixing with a whisk just works better before I transfer it to the container but it will all fit just not much room for shaking. AND BONUS THIS LASTS FOR US ABOUT A MONTH
Store the Dry Mix in the REFRIGERATOR...it will spoil if you don’t because of the buttermilk powder. Use within 3 months.
PANCAKES:
~ 2 Cups Pancake Mix
~ 1/2 cup egg substitute (this is my preference but 2 eggs will work also)
~ 1 tsp Pure Vanilla extract 
~ 1-2 cups of water
~ 1 Tbsp coconut oil*** (this is the best oil you can use and I highly recommend it for it’s nutritional values and benefits BUT if you don’t have any on hand OR aren’t a fan for whatever reason you can also use 2 Tbsp Olive Oil OR 3 Tbsp melted Butter)
All of the ingredients should be room temperature or close to it or the coconut oil will become hard*** (please see below) Whisk together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined but still a little lumpy...they are pancakes after all. Begin with 1 cup of water and add gradually until you get the consistency you prefer. Cook on a nonstick griddle at 350 degrees OR medium high. I use a ladle about 1/2 to 3/4 full for each pancake. You do not need to grease your pan if you use non stick.
For the week I make a triple batch which makes about 30 pancakes and freeze them in 3’s in freezer bags. I also bake a package of turkey bacon at 375 degrees for about 10-12 minutes after cutting the bacon in half and placing on 2 baking sheets.
In the morning I warm the pancakes in the microwave for 2 minutes and heat up the bacon for about 30 seconds. We serve them with cinnamon butter (land o lakes makes it) and sugar free or real maple syrup just depends on what we have at the moment. I also give the boys 1/3 of a banana.
You can get creative and add fruits in with the mix. We have added diced apples or strawberries into the mix and we have also sliced bananas and after we put about half of the mix on the griddle place some bananas on top and then cover them with the rest of the mix. The kids love them that way! 

*I grind my own flax seed with my “magic bullet”. It is cheaper this way. for about $5 you get a package of whole flax seed and each cup makes about 2 cups ground. If you buy the ground it’s about $4 for the same size package of whole. So either way it’s not that expensive so it just depends on your preference. If you do choose to grind it at home only grind about 1/2 cup at a time or you will have to continuously mix it to get all of seeds combined and ground.
** If you would rather use fresh buttermilk or the vinegar recipe you can find online then the mix does not have to be refrigerated but I still recommend it for freshness. You will just use the buttermilk in place of the water once you make the pancakes.
*** Coconut oil is AMAZING!! It comes solid so what I do is measure out what I am using and put in a glass measuring cup and melt it in a water bath on the stove top using a pan and just boiled water. I don’t recommend boiling and melting at the same time just because I haven’t done it and don’t know what might happen so just boil the water move to a cool burner and place your glass dish inside and let the oil liquify.
So that’s it! 
So much simpler than it probably sounds and so much healthier than cereal. 

Not to mention CHEAPER! 
I’ve estimated that for a batch of the Dry Mix it costs about $5.35. Add $2.50 for each batch of the pancakes...so for me $7.50 for a triple batch every 2 wks and $15 for the month and the dry mix at $10.70 for the month makes $25.70 + $7 for the turkey bacon + about $5 for bananas or grapes = $37.50 for the entire month for breakfast for my kiddos and hubby and they are actually FULL when they leave for school and work in the mornings!! As opposed to spending at least that for a cold bowl of cereal...can’t beat it! 

I hope you enjoy it!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment